Question: Are oral and anal sex permissible?
Answer: Modern day scholars differ about the ruling on oral sex.
Perhaps it is safe to say that oral sex is permissible (halal) for both the husband and wife. It can be understood from the Prophet’s ﷺ saying: “Approach from the front or the back, but avoid anal sex and sex during menstruation.” (Tirmidhi)
This is clear evidence that the following is prohibited:
- anal intercourse
- sex during menstruation
- sex during post natal-bleeding
Everything else between a husband and a wife is permissible. This includes oral sex between the spouses keeping in mind that:
- filthy (najas) fluids like the pre-ejaculatory fluid (madhi) is avoided
- swallowing semen is not allowed
- it should not be forced on anyone and should not cause harm
Anal sex is prohibited (haram) based on the following reports:
- “The one who has intercourse with his wife in her anus has disavowed himself of that which was revealed to Muhammad ﷺ.” (Abu Dawud)
- “Allah will not look at a man who has intercourse with a woman in her anus.” (Tirmidhi)
- “Allah is not too shy to tell the truth” three times. “Do not have intercourse with women in their back passages.” (Ibn Majah)
And Allah knows best.
Feature Image Credit: Flickr