Title: Quran Made Easy
Project Ameer: Mufti Afzal Elias
Translators: Moulana Ismail Ebrahim & Mufti Elias
Publisher: Zam Zam Publishers, Karachi, Pakistan
I myself have used this book for several years to teach a bi-weekly Quran class. It is not a detailed tafsir, but a translation with excellent, brief explanatory notes.
Sources of “Quran Made Easy”:
- Tafseer Uthmani, considered a masterpiece of Allamah Shabir Ahmed Uthmani (1886 – 1949), a theologian, writer, orator, and politician.
- Tafseer Jalaalayn of Mahalli and Suyuti with the detailed explanation of Allama Muhammad Na’eem Deobandi.
- Anwarul Bayaan (available in English as ‘Illuminating Discourses on the Noble Quraan’) by Mufti Ashiq Ilahi Madani.
The translators are Hanafi scholars from South Africa.
This is what I like about it:
- The language is easy and flowing by design so a lay person can understand it
- Integrated explanation: there are no footnotes to hamper the reader’s train of thought, instead brackets and fonts nicely separate the translation from the explanation
- The notes within the brackets add clarity or necessary explanation to the translation
- The beginning of every surah has a link with the previous surah and a short summary of the following surah
- Some 50 pages of introduction cover topics such as:
- Quran and its Names
- Kinds of Wahy
- Stages the Quran passed through in its Descent
- Preservation of the Quran
- Collection of the Quran
- Steps to Simplify Recitation
- Basic Purpose of the Quran
- Birth of Science of Tafsir
- Etiquette of Reading and Reciting the Quran
- The book has a glossary of terms in the beginning and an index at the end
The notes are sometimes just synonyms of the translation and do not necessarily explain much. Occasionally a marjuh explanation will make it’s way. Also, Arsh is translated as ‘Throne’ and the translators tend to resort to ta’weel when translating some of the verses of sifaat.
Overall, I cannot recommend a more accessible resource for understanding the Quran for teens and young adults.
And Allah knows best.