12 virtues of the essence and soul of Islam: La ilaha il-Allah.
The first obligation on a person and the first matter to invite the creation of Allah is La ilaha il-Allah, explaining its meaning: only Allah deserves our worship and Allah created us for that primary purpose.
- ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Amr described the Messenger of Allah ﷺ to be in the Torah as: “Allah will not take him until He has made the crooked community straight by him so that they say, La ilaha il-Allah, and by it they will open blind eyes, deaf ears, and covered hearts.'” (Bukhari)
- The first matter the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ invited people to was La ilaha il-Allah. A tribal leader from Bani Kinana reported that he saw Prophet Muhammad ﷺ saying in the market, ‘Say La ilaha il-Allah and you will succeed.’ (Musnad) (Musnad)
- The Messenger of Allah ﷺ instructed Mu’adh when he sent him to Yemen: ‘You are going to some of the People of the Book. When you come to them, call them to testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad ﷺ is the Messenger of Allah.’ (Bukhari and others)
- La ilaha il-Allah is the peak of Islam, the highest point of this deen, it is what stands out the most as the Prophet ﷺ said: “Emaan has over seventy branches or over sixty branches, the most excellent of which is the declaration La ilaha il-Allah.” (Muslim)
- When eeman plunges, what is the advice of our Nabi ﷺ to restore it? ‘Renew Eeman in your hearts.’ They asked, ‘How do we renew eeman in our hearts?’ He said, ‘Say, La ilaha il-Allah many times.’ (Musnad)
- One night the Prophet ﷺ woke up from sleep and pronounced, La ilaha il-Allah, Subhan-Allah, how many fitnas have come down tonight and how many treasures have been disclosed. Go and wake the sleeping ladies (his wives) of these dwellings up for prayers. A well-dressed (soul) in this world may be naked in the Hereafter.(Bukhari)
- La ilaha il-Allah is the best of good deeds (Musnad).
- “No worshiper has ever said: La ilaha il-Allah sincerely, except that the gates of heaven are opened for it, until it reaches to the Throne, so long as he avoids the major sins.” (Tirmidhi)
- “…La ilaha il-Allah – there is no barrier to it from Allah until it reaches Him.” (Tirmidhi)
- Prophet ﷺ said, “Exhort those of you who are dying to recite, ‘La ilaha il-Allah.’” (Muslim)
- The strength of La ilaha il-Allah will also work to free you from the dangers of the grave. In fact, that is the first question the person will be asked about in the grave and Allah will make believers firms to say the words (Bukhari).
- A man will be called in front of the entire creation. 99 scrolls will be laid out, each scroll is as far as the eye can see, then He will say: ‘Do you deny any of this? Have those who recorded this wronged you?’
He will say: ‘No, O Lord!’ He will say: Do you have an excuse?’
He will say: ‘No, O Lord!’
So He will say: ‘Rather you have a good deed with us, so you shall not be wronged today.”
Then He will bring out a card; on it will be: “I testify to La ilaha il-Allah, and I testify that Muhammad ﷺ is His servant and Messenger.”
He will say: ‘Bring your scales.’
He will say: ‘O Lord! What good is this card next to these scrolls?’
He will say: ‘You shall not be wronged.’
He said: ‘The scrolls will be put on a pan (of the scale), and the card on (the other) pan: the scrolls will be light, and the card will be heavy, nothing is heavier than the Name of Allah.'” (Tirmidhi)
May Allah fill our lives, families, and graves with the nur of La ilaha il-Allah.